Sometimes, he says he skis in the Andes; other times, he claims to spend his days racing motorcycles through Europe. The young entrepreneur who runs a worldwide firm essentially spends his time doing whatever he pleases.
Wish you had the same freedom? Tired of spending most of your waking hours chained to a desk? Slave to your own business? Then the 4-Hour Workweek is a must-read for you!
This life-transforming work by visionary Tim Ferriss has spent seven years on the NY Times bestsellers list. Recently, over 100 pages of cutting-edge content has been added to this classic, making it a hit all over again.
The book is designed to show anyone who’s overworked and unhappy how to work less and live more. The 4-Hour Workweek will put you on the path toward living your dream – putting family first, drastically cutting the time you spend at the office, increasing your income without increasing your work time and enjoying life instead of longing for retirement.
Tim opens his book by explaining that, when most people dream of finding that pot of gold, they don’t really need the dollar signs – they need the time, mobility and freedom – which they connect with having that money. Once that misconception has been cleared, you can redefine your goals so your dreams are not dependent on having a certain amount of money, but on living a particular lifestyle.
The book works around the acronym DEAL:
- Definition: Replace self-defeating assumptions
- Elimination: Learn how to ignore the unimportant (generates time)
- Automation: Put cash flow on autopilot (generates income)
- Liberation: Create freedom of location (generates mobility)
Here’s what you’ll learn when you read The 4-Hour Workweek:
- How Tim changed his life from working 80-hour weeks and earning $40k a year to working 4-hour weeks and earning $40k a month.
- How to cheaply outsource your life to overseas workers and let your money grow as you spend your time doing what you really want.
- How escape artists travel the world without quitting their jobs.
- How to eliminate 50% of your work in 48 hours by using the brilliant principles of an Italian economist.
- How to trade a 9-5 job for brief bursts of intense work and frequent mini-retirements.
- The difference between absolute and relative income and how it affects your work ethic.
- The definition of automated cash-flow “muses” and how to create one in less than 5 weeks.
- How to cultivate selective ignorance with a low-information diet, thus creating time.
- The management secrets of remote-control CEOs.
- How to get free housing worldwide and airfare at a 50-80% discount.
- How to create a meaningful life after removing the burden of full-time work.
New additions to the book include:
- More than 50 practical tips and case studies from readers who have incorporated the book’s principles into their lives and doubled their incomes.
- The latest tools, tricks and high-tech shortcuts for living like a millionaire.
While not everything in the book is practical for all entrepreneurs, and plenty of people have criticized his ideas, there’s enough solid information in the book to make it a worthwhile read.
Your Turn: Do you have ideas for working less while accomplishing more? What’s worked for you? We’d love to hear about it!