New Year’s resolutions are common practice after the first of the year. Many of the most popular resolutions regard health, finances, and careers/education. According to University of Scranton’s Journal of Clinical Psychology the top 4 most popular resolutions among Americans are to lose weight, get organized, spend less and save more, and to enjoy life to the fullest.
In order to help make this new year a more successful one here are some tips to help:
- Focus on one goal at a time – Trying to incorporate too many goals and resolutions all at once can be overwhelming. Taking your progress slowly will motivate you without causing too much stress.
- Isolate what makes it important – Recognize what makes your goals pertinent and important to you. If you need to lose weight for health reasons, remind yourself that. Isolating the WHY is the most important way to motivate success.
- Make it tangible and specific – Avoid sweeping statements like “I want to live abroad one day”. Making vague generalizations is the difference between a daydream and reality.
- Put a date on something – Dates help create motivation. We all work that little bit harder when there is a deadline and a time frame to work under.
- Think BIG but act small – Choose something that will stretch you but not overwhelm you.
- Don’t go off course two days in a row – If you make mistake –like go off your diet–don’t let it completely de-rail you. Pick yourself back up again and keep going. Don’t give up because you missed one day. We are all human, so just keep pushing forward.
- Tell other people your goals – We are innately social beings and alerting people to what you are trying to accomplish will help you stick to your guns. Tell your family, friends, co-workers, etc. and they can become your cheerleaders and allies in reaching your goals.
Once your goals have been isolated, planned, and written down, remember to be patient with yourself and keep pushing forward. Along with the new year comes tax returns. That’s why at UCCU we offer discounted services through Turbo Tax for all of our members. Head to our Turbo Tax website for more details and the opportunity to win up to $15,000.